Green pepper steak
Preparation time: 40 min.
Cooking time: 20 min.
Total time: 1 hr
A quick meaty stirring roast with steak, peppers and tomatoes, seasoned with garlic, soy sauce and ginger
• 1 pound of sirloin or round steak, thinly sliced against the grain
• 1/4 cup soy sauce divided
• 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
• 2 tablespoons corn starch
• 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
• 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
• 2 large peppers, diced (red, green or both)
• 1 large onion, cut into wedges
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 3 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped or grated
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed pepper flakes (optional)
• 2 large tomatoes, diced (or several small ones)
• Cooked rice to serve
• Soy sauce to serve
1. Pour 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and sugar over sliced steak. Marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours. While the beef is marinating, prepare the remaining ingredients.
2. In a small bowl or 2 cup measure, combine the corn starch, beef broth, the remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce. Whisk, until mixed. Aside.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium high. Add half of the beef and cook until browned at the edges. Turn over the beef slices and continue cooking for about 2 minutes. Take on a plate and keep warm. Repeat with another tablespoon of oil and more sliced beef until all the meat is browned.
4. Pour the last tablespoon of oil into the pan. Add the peppers, onions and black pepper. Sauté until the vegetables are crispy and lightly charred, about 5 to 8 minutes.
5. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the flakes in the garlic, ginger and crushed red peppers when using. Sauté, stir constantly until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
6. Add the cooked beef together with the accumulated juices and the beef broth to the pan. Cook until the sauce thickens, about 3 to 5 minutes. Gently fold in the tomatoes and stir. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.
7. Garnish with extra black pepper and parsley.
8. Serve over hot-cooked rice. Add extra soy sauce to serve.
this article adapted from this